Sunday 13 September 2015

SNUG AS A BUG IN A RUG

Here's my very first crochet rug...
My good friend Cayte at Pisky Cove Porthleven encouraged me to have a go at making one - she makes and sells them in her shop.

So I purchased a few rolls of Boodles fabric yarn and set about making my rug.
I started off by chaining 4 and joining to make a loop.

I chained 2 then did 10DC (UK TR) into the loop, finally slip stitching into the first DC (UK TR) (ignoring the Ch2 each round - I found this made the seam less obvious).

I continued working in rounds increasing by 10 each round, using various hooks depending on the type of fabric yarn used.

Again due to the different types of fabric yarn, I found that sometimes my work would curl up (if I didn't increase enough) and other times it would wave (if I increased too much). So I would undo that particular round and adjust. 
I didn't bother weaving in the ends of my yarn - Cayte said it's supposed to be organic and handmade!
As my rug grew bigger, I did certain rows in SC (UK DC) as I was running out of some colours!
I finished the rug with an invisible fasten off ... there's a great tutorial here
I love my first crochet rug.

I love how I have finally learnt to not need a pattern.

I love how I have learnt that there's no such thing as the Crochet Police!

Linking up at these sites

No comments :