Sunday 3 June 2012

Proud to be British

Here in Britian we have a 4 day weekend, celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It's something only to happen here once before, during Queen Victoria's reign. I will never see anything like it again in my lifetime, so I have tried to soak up as much as I can.

My favourite tea towel has a new lease of life
Yesterday, I attended a Commonwealth Celebration at a local Multi Faith Centre. What a day! So many people, from so many backgrounds, coming together to celebrate the Jubilee. I was working (covering the occasion for radio) and I have to say it was quite an enjoyable day's work. It made me proud of the multi-cultural West Midlands.
The weather has been typically British! Today it has not stopped raining.

Earlier we visited our local pub for a quick drink. We were welcomed with flags and bunting. A great atmosphere. Everyone was watching the TV coverage of the preparations in London (it was raining there too).
Once home, David and I settled down in front of the TV, fire on (in June!), to watch the Jubilee Pageant down the Thames. Umbrellas everywhere, but fair play, the crowds were jubilant. I sat watching with pride. I stood for the National Anthem.
If only I had bought those glasses from Asda, I could have worn them today!


9 comments :

Highland Monkey's said...

Everybody looks like they're having a good time, inspite of the weather.

Sarah Leonard said...

I was amazed at how many people turned out in the pouring rain.

Cases of hypothermia reported on the news too.... oops!!

Sarah
http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

Free Spirit Designs said...

i love your photos of the TV - they really capture the atmosphere of the occasion!

good old Brits eh :) we'll not let a spot of rain get in the way of a special day!

Ashley said...

That looks like so much fun! So cool that you went to the celebration at the multi faith centre! I love your picture of the flag in front of the window.

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

Looks like a lot of fun was had. Such a shame so many places had bad weather, but it certainly didn't seem to put the celebrations off. Enjoy the rest of the Jubilee Bank Holiday and hope you have a good week.

fatmonica said...

I love the photo of the celebrations at the multi faith centre.Everyone looks so happy!

Unknown said...

What a celebration! You should be proud of your country:) I am firm believer in patriotism which everyone should be lucky enough to have for their country. Thank you for sharing the day.

Myth Illogical said...

Just to let you know- I've nominated you for the versatile blogger award. Don't feel obliged to take part if you don't want to, but I wanted to include your blog in my links!

Carly said...

Just found you via the blog hop, and I love these pictures! Its been super hot out in la, and its nice to see some cooler weather!

I'm your newest follower, and can't wait to read more!

Carly
www.lipglossandcrayons.com