Saturday 12 May 2012

British Enlightenment

This year is a biggie for Britain.

The 2012 Olympics in London and our Queen's Diamond Jubilee. 


I have decided to do a few (eek! few is more than 2, best get some ideas... fast!!!) patriotic craft creations over the next month. 

Now being a lover of pickled onions and gherkins, I always have glass jars destined for the bi-weekly recycle collection. Surely they have a life post pickle??!

After the success of my crochet tealight cosies, I thought the jars could be used to light up our Jubilee celebrations.

Union Jack merchandise is everywhere and the cheapest is the paper napkin.

And so this tale begins...

Pickle jar, Union Jack napkins and some garden twine
I cut the napkin to size (enough to wrap around the jar) and split the printed area of the napkin from the plain piece.
Then the fun began! PVA! Lashings of it!!!
I gradually rolled the jar across the napkin, dabbing gently as I went along, to make sure all parts of the napkin stuck. (I didn't worry about the creases... they add to the textured effect)
I then let it dry - the napkin wet with PVA was delicate, so best to let it set before moving on to the next step.
The finishing touch; Garden twine, wrapped around the top of the jar to hide the lid thread.
Indoors
Outdoors...
I'm sure our Queen Liz and Prince Phil are busy making some already ;)

*** NEVER LEAVE LIT TEALIGHTS UNATTENDED ***


****Linking up at these blog hops and parties

25 comments :

Meaningful Mama said...

This is a great idea. I love the thought of using a napkin. Clever. I lived in England for a bit, so I'm always a bit drawn to Union Jack stuff. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

My Norfolk Life said...

That is so lovely! I love the twine top too.
Claire

Unknown said...

Simple, sweet and patriotic! I'm looking forward to being in the UK this summer and being part of all this marvellous celebrations!

Tickled Pink said...

Brilliant idea, really clever. The addition of the garden twine really finishes them off.

Wendy said...

Fabulous - I love the garden twine finish! I used to do this with mulberry papers but the union jack napkin adds a very current twist! x

Wendy said...

It looks great! what a fab idea

Taylor-Ann said...

Totally cute idea....I would love if you linkedit up to my link party "show Off Mondays".

http://www.kampenlane.com/2012/05/show-off-monday-6.html

~Taylor-Ann

Nicki Tustin said...

fabulous idea, so simple, yet so effective

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - I may well be borrowing that idea for some of the groups I run if that is ok? Another use for empty jars is yummy jam which is what I would have done so I would never have thought of this in a million years! Thanks.

Susie said...

Oh wow, that is lovely! I may have to try that. I have a whole stash of jars that a neighbor gave me and I've needed to find something to do with them. This would be PERFECT (altho don't need to use the Union Jack). I think something with red white and blue tho, for our Fourth of July would be outstanding! Thank you for the idea. :)

butterflyblossom said...

Lovely idea! Fingers crossed we get the weather to be sitting outside at night :-) X

lovetartan said...

great idea and really funky! Love it Mich x

fatmonica said...

What a fabulous idea!It's so simple yet so effective.

Marla said...

Great idea! WIll be bookmarking this!

Little Harriet said...

Very patriotic!

LH
x

cgammeter said...

Hi Karen, I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, a new GFC friend. I would love it if you stop by and be mine, too. Yah.... the Olympic games in London, that's cool. Napkins, that's a great idea... thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

LOVE it! That is such a great idea! I have to start keeping my old jars. This is so simple, but absolutely fabulous. I'm hosting a weekly link party goig on right now and I'd love it if you'd join in at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/05/whimsy-wednesdays-11.html

Liz @ Here's to Handy Andy said...

What a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to reuse jars, there just something about glass jars that I love. Thanks for sharing! I would love for you to hop over and share at our Pinteresting Link Party, if you have a chance. http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2012/05/pinteresting-link-party-week-39.html

Anonymous said...

How effective and clever!

Donna Wilkes said...

Don't tell the neighbors, but Tuesday morning while walking the dog I will raid the recycle bins and take the jars! Imagine a bunch of these outside. (For safety you could use the battery-operated tea lights.)

Distressed Donna Down Home

Unknown said...

This is just too clever! I love tea lights and I could make a new one for each occasion stealing your idea:) (See stalking you here also). Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays. Have a super marvelous week.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays! I tried something similar but I tried using washi tape instead of twine and I hate it. I need to get some twine.

Unknown said...

Love it! I need to get more patriotic decor done myself :) Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

Very cool idea! Thanks for linking up! Hope to see you again this week.

Unknown said...

Darling idea! I'm a new follower from the under 300 followers blog hop!

Heather
www.briebrieblooms.com